originally appeared in June 1985 Third
Austinites will not recognize these 32 buildings. Every one of them has
been razed and removed to the county dump. In their places are ten parking
lots, seven highrises, four apartment complexes, three government buildings,
one hotel, one garage, one office, one church, one house, one park, one
school, and one lot awaiting construction. Twenty-three were located in
what is now downtown, five were in the university area, two were in East
Austin, one in the south, and one in the west. An inestimable portion
of Austin's architectural heritage has been lost. These buildings literally
gave shape to the city's history. Their design and construction make today's
mostly modern and postmodern urbanscape appear monotonous and frightful
by comparison. Several of the architectural styles are no longer well-represented
Austin Architest" is a monthly column written by Gordy Bowman in
which Third Coast readers are asked to identify a curious detail of local
architecture. In September 1984, Bowman presented his first "Super
Architest," asking readers to identity a menage of existing downtown
buildings. In this issue, Casey Monahan borrows Bowman's idea and steps
backward. Call it "Super Architest, The Antecedent." The first
three people to identify the buildings below will receive a year's subscription
to Third Coast and a copy of Gone from Texas: Our Lost Architectural Heritage,
by Willard Robinson. Special credit goes to anyone who includes the names
of the original occupants and their four-digit phone numbers. Answers
will be published next month.
de Chaumés, a contractor for the first Texas State Capitol, built
this Classic Revival home in 1854 at 202 East Ninth Street. It
was sold to August Palm in 1857, then rented to Albert
Sydney Johnson, who lived there until the start of the Civil
War. The home was demolished in 1954, and the site was a playground,
then a parking lot. It is now Commodore Plaza.
architect of the Driskill Hotel, Jasper
N. Preston, also designed Jesse W. Driskill's Victorian home
at 2607 Whitis Avenue in 1883. Later sold to Episcopal bishop
of Texas George
Herbert Kinsolving, who lived there until his death on October
23, 1928. Before its demolition in 1955, it was used as a dormitory.
The second Kinsolving Dormitory now sits on this site.
Mandell House, an early fundraiser and advisor for Woodrow Wilson,
FDR and numerous other state and national politicians, had Frank
Freeman of Brooklyn, NY design this Shingle-style home at 1704 West
Avenue in 1891. After decade of use by the Delta Zeta sorority,
the home was abandoned in the early 1960s. The home was razed in
1966 after a suspected arson. The site, now used as a parking lot,
is for sale. The wall remains.
Dieterich, one of the few survivors of the Battle of Goliad,
returned to Austin in 1840 and built this cedar log cabin at 3401
Red River Street. In 1850, he built a two-story Classic Revival
addition. "Sunnyridge", as its second owner, Lewis Hancock Sr.
called the plantation, was razed in 1967 to make way for the 215-unit
Century Square Apartments.
Texas Attorney General, ant-secessionist US representative and
Texas Governor during Reconstruction Andrew
Jackson Hamilton and his son Jack built this Italianate home
in 1871 at 1124 Niles Road in East Austin. After a brief spell
as a nursing home, the structure was demolished in 1972.
Mary's Academy, a Victorian structure at 206 East Seventh Street,
was designed in 1883 by Frederick
Ernst Ruffini and completed in 1885 for $65,000. Razed in 1954,
it was a parking lot for 30 years until the construction of Austin
Centre / Radisson Hotel in 1984.
began in 1882 on the University
of Texas Main Building, located on the "Practical Center"
of the 40 acres. Abner
Cook completed Frederick Ernst Ruffini's design later that
year on the West Wing, Burt McDonald finished the Central portion
in 1889, and the East Wing was completed in 1898. After receiving
a Public Works Administration grant for a new Main Building in
1933, UT President Harry
Yandell Benedict had this Victorian Gothic landmark razed
against the wishes of many Texas Exes.
Confederate Home for Men sat on a 26-acre site at 1624 West
Sixth Street. The Stick-style main building was completed in 1887
and used until 1964. After six years of abandonment, the rebel
home was replaced by UT with the 200-unit Gateway Apartments.
"In 1943 the legislature converted the Confederate Home for Men
into a hospital for mentally
ill male geriatric patients in order to provide beds in the
1876 Travis County Courthouse was built ("putting the Capitol in
the shade") for $100,000 by Burt McDonald from plans drawn by Jacob
Larmour and Charles Wheelock. Located on the southeast corner
of East 11th Street and Congress Avenue, it was Austin's finest
example of Second Empire architecture. But in 1927, the distinctive
cupolas had become a breeding ground for "bats, pigeons, vermin
and insects," and were consequently removed. After construction
of the present courthouse, the State named the building Walton and
used it for offices. Walton was razed in 1964, and the site is currently
a parking lot for state employees.
1929, St. Martin's Lutheran
Church was built for $150,000 at 1400 Congress by Richard
Schmidt from plans drawn by George L. Walling. The Gothic-style
church stood until 1960, when it was razed for "Capitol Beautification".
The site is now the lawn for the Texas Employment Commission building.
first synagogue in Austin, Temple Beth Israel, was a Romanesque
Revival structure designed by A.M.C. Nixon from plans drawn by
Wahrenberger and Jacob Larmour. Built in 1884, the structure
was razed in 1957. The 146-room Ramada In at 1101 San Jacinto
now occupies this site.
third passenger station, the Houston and Texas Central (later
Mokan) was built in 1902 at 301 Congress Avenue. After its demolition
in 1965, the site was used for a parking lot until 1984, when
Trammell Crow Company began construction of the 301 Congress office
Johns had this Romanesque/Victorian home built in 1874 at 704
Lavaca for $15,000. After his death, it was sold in 1899 for $9,100
Rep. Albert Sydney Burleson, who later became Postmaster General
for Woodrow Wilson. The building was demolished in 1951, and for
30 years afterward the site was a parking lot. In 1981, Texas
Commerce Bank built its 15-story structure here.
Swedish Evangelical Free Church, a Renaissance Revival structure
at 1610 Colorado, was built in 1925. It served the congregation
until 1962, when the State purchased the property to be used as
a parking lot.
AISD awarded the $48,079 contract to build the new Austin High
School to Jacob Wattinger in 1900. Designed by Arthur
Osburn Watson this Renaissance Revival structure at 400 East
Fourth Street also served as Allen Junior High from 1925 until
May 21, 1956, when it burned. Restoration exceeded AISD's budget,
and in December its remains were razed. After 13 years as a parking
lot, the site is now the third First Baptist Church.
Norman Castellated Travis County Jail was built in 1875 on the southwest
corner of East 11th Street and Brazos. Designed in part by Jacob
Larmour,. the jail was used until 1932, when it and the jailer's
house next door were razed to build the State Department of Highways
building. The ring for the noose was still in place at the time
Ship built the Victorian-style Hyde Park Pavilion in 1892 just east
of the pond dug the year before. The 60-by-132 structure could accommodate
200 people during "entertainments of a high grade." The W.R. Robbins
School, 3909 Avenue B, now sits on this site.
at 609 Davis Street, this house was built in 1859 for
Judge Amos Morrill. Eleven years later, Governor
Edmund J. Davis moved here. As legend has it, he used the underground
rooms to confine Confederate expatriates, and used the tunnels that
led to the Colorado River and the Capitol as escape routes when
he was threatened. Demolished in 1953, it was replaced by a one-story
Butler, founder of the Butler Brick Company, commissioned Thomas
Harding of Little Rock to design his home in 1887. Eclectic Victorian
in style, it featured Moorish arches, glass imported from Europe,
and one of the first electric lighting systems in an Austin home.
It stood at 309 West 11th Street until 1971, when it was razed for
a parking lot.
J. Houghton had James Wahrenberger design this Second Empire-style
home to be built at 307 West 12th Street. Completed in 1876 by Charles
Shurr, the home stood until 1973 when it was razed to make way for
the Stokes Building parking garage.
Cook built this Classic Revival home in 1851 for Dr.
Samuel G. Haynie. Haynie returned the favor a few years later
when he sold it back to Cook, who also built the Governor's Mansion
next door. The home stood at 1104 Colorado until 1953, when it was
razed for a parking lot. The Westgate Tower is located on a portion
of Cook's former lot.
Farmers and Ginners Cotton Oil Company began using this 19th century
brick structure in 1910. After they left in 1959, the building at
2012 East Sixth Street was used as a bed factory, a trash-service
center, and, through 1983, artists' studios. Taken apart brick by
brick early this year, the site awaits construction.
Butler owned one of the first homes south of the Colorado when his
built this Victorian home close to his brick factory in 1883. After
building his new home at 309 West 11th Street (no. 19), Michael
cousin John J. Butler moved into the home. The Butler family later
gave the property to the City of Austin, which razed the home in
1957. The site is now the location of Butler Shores, Zachary
Scott Theatre Center, and Kash-Karry Grocery.
selling his house at 2607 Whitis (no. 2), to Bishop Kinsolving,
Driskill built another home across the street at 2610 Whitis
in 1883. This Victorian-styles home was demolished in 1963 and replaced
by a parking lot.
member of Woodrow Wilson's cabinet, US Attorney General Thomas
Watt Gregory, built this Colonial Revival home at 1208 Lavaca
in 1900. It was demolished in 1958, and site is now a parking lot.
Limberg built this Victorian residence in 1897 at 2000 University
Avenue. Despite opposition by City staff, the owner moved it to
Garfield. The site is now a parking lot.
second passenger rail station, the International-Great
Northern Railroad station was built in 1888 on the southwest
corner of West Third Street and Congress Avenue. After several years
of abandonment, the station was razed in 1955. A parking lot is
now located on the site.
Jaensson, known as Swante Palm, Swedish Consul to the Republic,
built Austin's second consulate in 1841 at 109 West Ninth Street.
The brick addition was completed in 1884. After the buildings were
demolished, the site was used as a parking lot until the construction
of the First City Centre.
second First Baptist Church was built in 1916 on the northeast corner
of 10th Street and Colorado. The Renaissance Revival-style church
was used until 1970, when the church razed the structure and sold
the land to the State of Texas for a parking lot.
of the Hancock Opera, 120 West Sixth Street, a Renaissance Revival
structure designed by F.E. Ruffini, is thought to have started in
1880. George Hancock and his son, Lewis, completely remodeled the
building in 1896 into Texas' premier opera facility. In 1935, it
was again remodeled, this time into the Capitol Movie Theatre, which
it remained until its demolition in 1968. After many years as a
parking lot, the site is now covered by part of One American Center.
20-room Victorian Italianate home was built in 1872 for Dr. M.A.
Taylor at 1108 Guadalupe. After his death in 1909, his wife married
Hinklin Hunnicutt. In 1925, the home was moved 90 feet to 405 West
12th Street in order to provide room for the Central Christian Church.
The church returned the favor in March 1974 when they razed the
structure for a parking lot. The Saturday-morning demolition precipitated
the passage of Austin's Historic Landmark ordinance.
the walls came tumbling down. . .The June 24, 1954 razing of St.
Mary's Academy (no. 6).
of Austin past from the Austin
1. Austin History Center (AHC) PICH 00482; 2. AHC PICH02934; 3. AHC PICH
02616; 4. AHC PICH 2412; 5. AHC PICH 02124; 6. AHC CO 1165; 7. AHC PICA
07735; 8. AHC CO 0826; 9. AHC CO 0826; 10. AHC CO 1129; 11. AHC CO 1281;
12. AHC PICA 021296; 13. AHC PICH 92000; 14. CO 1277; 15. AHC CO 3708;
16. AHC CO 2377; 17. AHC CO 1092; 18. AHC CO 1472; 19. Molly Juvenal;
20. Molly Juvenal; 21 AHC PICH 05000; 22. Casey Monahan; 23. AHC PICH
04132; 24. AHC PICH 02939; AHC PICH 02619; 26. AHC PICH 02876; 27. AHC
CO 00174; 28. AHC PICH 0534; 29. AHC PICA 04427; 30. AHC CO 0134; 31.
Blake Alexander; 32. AHC PICA 05954
thanks to Sharmyn Lumsden and the rest of the Austin
History Center staff. The AHC, the main physical repository of the
history of our city, welcomes materials that document the people, events,
environment, and everyday life of Austin and Travis County. Submissions
should be made in person at the old library building at West Ninth and
Drury Blakeley. Texas Homes of the Nineteenth Century. Austin: University
of Texas Press, 1966.
Kenneth. Abner Cook: Master Builder on the Texas Frontier. Austin: Texas
State Historical Association, 1992.
Willard E. Texas Public Buildings of the Nineteenth Century. Austin: University
of Texas Press, 1974.
Lawrence. Landmarks of Texas Architecture. Austin: University of Texas
Hank Todd, ed., Austin, Its Architects and Architecture. Austin Chapter,
American Institute of Architects, 1986.
Roxanne. Victorian Architecture in Texas. M.A. thesis, University of Texas
at Austin, 1967.
Roxanne. Austin, Texas: An American Architectural History. San Antonio:
Trinity University Press, 1973.
Rule" in Eight Faiths
This is the sum of duty: Do naught unto others which would cause you pain
if done to you.
Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.
All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so
to them; for this is the law and the prophets. (King James) So
always treat others as you would like them to treat you. (Jerusalem)
it is the maxim of loving-kindness: Do not unto others what you would
not have them do unto you.
No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which
he desires for himself.
Talmud, Shabbat 31a
What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow man. That is the entire
Law; all the rest is commentary.
T'ai Shang Kan Ying P'ien
Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain and your neighbor's loss
as your own loss.
That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever
is not good for itself.
A Teenage Dipper
Montessori School (Dallas)
Saint Rita Catholic School (Dallas, K-3)
Cistercian Preparatory School ( http://www.cistercian.org
E.D. Walker Middle School (Dallas, 8)
Franklin Junior High School (Dallas, 9)
Hillcrest High School - graduate (Dallas, 10-12, 1977)
Southwest Texas State University (San Marcos, 1977-79, 80)
University of Texas at Dallas (Richardson, 1979)
Washington Center for Learning Alternatives - intern at National Archives
(Washington DC, 1979)
University of Texas at Austin - graduate, Bachelor of Arts in History
Dallas Morning News - paperboy (1971-73)
Pastory's Restaurant (Dallas) - busboy (1973)
Catfish Cabin (Dallas) - busboy (1974)
Safari Steakhouse (Dallas) - busboy (1974)
North Dallas Lawn and Garden (Dallas) - stock clerk (1974)
Gerland's Food Fair (Dallas) - clerk (1975)
Baskin Robbins (Dallas) - dipper (1975)
Sears & Roebuck Garden Shop (Dallas) - clerk (1975-77)
Fat Friar's (San Marcos) - bartender (1978)
Too Bitter (San Marcos) - janitor (1978)
University of Texas at Dallas McDermott Library (Richardson) - clerk (1979)
National Archives (Washington, D.C.) - archivist technician - intern (1979)
Southwest Texas State University Library, (San Marcos) - government documents
UT Austin Perry Castañeda Library (Austin) - government documents clerk
Texas State Library (Austin) - government documents clerk (1982)
Charles Key Construction Company (Austin) - assistant superintendent (1983-84)
Lindley Group (Austin) - research analyst (1984)
Austin American-Statesman, Research Department - research analyst (1985-89)
Austin American-Statesman, Arts and Entertainment - "Nightlife" music
calendar editor, music photographer (1985-88)
Austin American-Statesman, Arts and Entertainment - writer; Country/Folk
Texas Music Office, Texas Department of Commerce - director (1990-91)
Texas Music Office, Office of the Governor - director (1991 - present)
TMO duties include:
~ developing and supervising Texas Music Business Referral Network (12 databases totaling more than 14,000 active records)
~ editing and publishing Texas Music Industry Directory, Texas Music Events Calendar, Texas Recording and Production Guide, Texas Music Education Primer, Texas Music Bibliography, Internet Guide to Texas Music, and numerous 1-page information sheets
~ recruiting music businesses to Texas
~ assisting Texas businesses with their expansion plans
~ developing/editing TMO website ( http://www.governor.state.tx.us/music
~ publicizing significant music developments to state, national and international
~ supervising two-person staff (publications coordinator and administrative
assistant) and three intern researchers each semester
~ recruiting up to 14 Texas participants for The Texas Stand at MIDEM
(the world's largest music industry convention held each January in Cannes);
Stand Director, 1991 to 1997)
~ researching/editing Texas Music International Tip Sheet
~ administering TMO stand at South by Southwest Music and Media Conference,
1990 to present
~ providing information about music issues to Texas Legislature and Governor's
~ drafting and editing Governor's music-related correspondence and speeches
~ serving as liaison between Texas music businesses and state and federal
governments, and state and national music associations
Austin Community College - adjunct professor (Survey of the Music Business MUSB 1305; 2006 - present)
Carver Branch Library, Victory Tutorial Program - tutor (1995 - Present)
National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, Texas Chapter - Voting member, (1994 - present); First Vice President (1994 - 1996); Board Member At-Large (1996 - 1998; 2004-2005); one of 12-member Blue Ribbon Lifetime Achievement Committee (2003 - 2005)
Texas Travel Industry Association - Ex Officio Board Member (2004 - 2006)
Austin Music Foundation - Board member (2005 - present)
Best Music Critic, Austin Music Awards (1989-90)
Publishing and Recordings
"Lost From Austin" Third Coast (June, July 1985)
photographed 400+ musical acts; compiled 184 weeks of daily "Nightlife"
music calendars; wrote 250 articles (Austin American-Statesman June 1985-January 1990)
Harvey Young, Huts Hymnal: The Lyrics of H.T. Young - editor (Off the
Texas Music Industry Directory - editor (Texas Music Office, Governor's
Office, 1991 - 2006)
Rick Broussard, She Makes The Angels Cry - producer (Dynamic 1992)
Texas Recording and Production Guide - editor (Texas Music Office, Governor's
Office, 1993 - 1996)
Junior Brown, Guit With It - executive producer (Curb 1993)
Roky Erickson, Openers II: The Lyrics of Roky Erickson - editor (2.13.61
Roky Erickson, All That May Do My Rhyme - co-producer (Trance Syndicate,
"A Bibliography of Texas Music" - editor (Southwestern Historical Quarterly,
The Handbook of Texas Music - editor (with Roy Barkley, Douglas E. Barnett,
Cathy Brigham, Gary Hartman, Dave Oliphant, and George B. Ward; Texas
State Historical Association, 2003)
Co-hosted and co-produced 21 Jimi Hendrix Birthday Specials (1981-2002) with Larry Monroe on KUT-FM 90.5 FM. Additional KUT specials with Monroe on Cindy Walker, Lefty Frizzell, and Floyd Tillman.